Student Complaints About Grades

A student who wishes to file a complaint about a course grade should attempt first to resolve the matter through a discussion with the faculty member who taught the course in question. If the faculty member is unable to resolve the matter, the student may contact the department chair in writing, stating the basis of the complaint. Such complaints should be sent to the appropriate department chair within six weeks following the receipt of final grades. Before changing a grade, a chair must, in a timely manner, attempt to discuss the grade with the faculty member who assigned it. A student who is not satisfied with the decision of the department chair may appeal the decision in writing to the dean of the school housing the course. The decision of the academic dean is final. A faculty member who disagrees with a chair's change of grade may also appeal the chair's decision in writing to the dean, whose decision is likewise final.