MAT Initial Certification, Secondary Track (9-12 Certification and Subject Endorsement) with Endorsement in English as a Second Language
Subject Endorsements in: English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies
|Requirements (39 credits)|
|ED-510||Psychological and Philosophical Foundations of Teaching||3|
|ED-550||Teaching English Language Learners in Mainstream Classroom||3|
|EDS-500||Foundations of Special Education: Development Across the Lifespan||3|
|EDS-534||Classroom Management in Inclusive Settings||3|
|Select two of the following Content Method courses:||6|
|Content Method I|
|Methods of Teaching Science at the Secondary Level I|
|Methods of Teaching English at the Secondary Level|
|Secondary Mathematics Methods, Part I|
|Teaching Social Studies and Cultural Education at the Secondary Level|
|Content Methods II|
|Methods of Teaching Science at the Secondary Level II|
|Methods of Teaching English at the Secondary Level Part II|
|Secondary Mathematics Methods Part II|
|Secondary Social Studies Education Part II|
|EN-563||Linguistics and the English Language||3|
|or ED-536||Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching|
|ED-583||Theories and Practice of ESL Instruction Part I||3|
|ED-584||Theories and Practice of ESL Instruction Part II||3|
|ED-593||Clinical Practice 1||9|
|or ED-594||Supervised Clinical Practice|
Students must complete the appropriate test requirement(s) with a passing score prior to student/supervised teaching.
|ED-510 Psychological and Philosophical Foundations of Teaching||3||ED-529 Content Literacy||3|
|ED-550 Teaching English Language Learners in Mainstream Classroom||3||EDS-534 Classroom Management in Inclusive Settings||3|
|EDS-500 Foundations of Special Education: Development Across the Lifespan||3|
|Semester Credits||9||Semester Credits||6|
|ED-536 Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching||3||ED-584 Theories and Practice of ESL Instruction Part II||3|
|ED-583 Theories and Practice of ESL Instruction Part I||3||Content Methods I (please refer to curriculum chart for course)||3|
|Content Methods II (please refer to curriculum chart for course)||3|
|Semester Credits||6||Semester Credits||9|
|ED-593 Clinical Practice or 594||9|
|Total Credits 39|
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree with a satisfactory overall GPA per state requirements and a 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate major.
- Two letters of recommendation for graduate study.
- Personal statement of not more than two pages that describes your preparation for study in the program and personal objectives for graduate study.
- Provide evidence of successfully achieving a minimum score on one of the following tests as a condition of admission to the MAT:
- Provide a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators #5751
- Provide an official qualifying score on the SAT, ACT or GRE required for the year in which the exam was taken (see New Jersey Department of Education for details).
- Students interested in the MAT Initial Certification K-12 in Chinese must have a degree or thirty approved credits in the Chinese language and culture.
Note: Prior to student teaching, the appropriate Praxis Test must be successfully completed, and all content course work and/or conditions of acceptance must be satisfied.