International Applicants

International Applicants

International applicants must meet three basic criteria before being accepted and issued an I-20 Form:

  1. demonstration of academic ability,
  2. English language proficiency, and
  3. sufficient financial support.

Applicants for admission whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. Such proficiency may be demonstrated by submitting an official score report from one of the following standardized tests and meeting the minimum score requirements. Students who have completed the equivalent of a baccalaureate or master’s degree at an accredited institution in a native, English-speaking country may be exempt from these standardized testing requirements. For a current list of additional ways to meet the English language proficiency requirement please contact the Admission Office at 732-571-3456.

Standardized Test Minimum Score Requirement
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)1 79 (Internet-based version)
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)1 6 (with no less than a score of 5.5 on any section)
MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)1 77
ESOL (Cambridge University English for Speakers of Other Languages)1 Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) - A B2 constitutes a passing grade

Note that exceptions to minimum score requirements for graduate programs may be made upon recommendation of the graduate program director within the student’s major department and with approval from the Vice Provost of Graduate Studies. Monmouth also requires a student’s academic profile to meet regular standards for admission.

Monmouth University will also accept international students who meet Monmouth’s regular standards for admission and who have successfully completed the ELS Language Services program at the master’s level of English proficiency, which is completion of Level 112, in lieu of the TOEFL or other English proficiency exam. Conditional acceptance may be issued by Monmouth University to those students who elect to prove English proficiency by enrolling in and completing ELS Level 112.

In order to obtain the nonimmigrant Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20), all accepted international applicants are required to provide financial documentation, such as bank statements, attesting that sufficient funds are available to support the period of study for the degree at Monmouth. To obtain a copy of the Application for Form I-20 and instructions, visit our International Students Information page. This document is required and must be completed before the Form I-20 can be issued.

Undergraduate applicants who have attended a school outside of the United States must submit official evidence of secondary school completion and certified original copies of national examination results where applicable.

International undergraduate freshman applicants from English-speaking countries must take the SAT or ACT and meet regular standards for admission. To learn from which countries the SAT/ACT is required, please visit our TOEFL Requirements page.

International Transfer Applicants

Credentials submitted from foreign institutions will be evaluated by the Transcript Evaluator for credit transfer. Official college transcripts for all college-level work, regardless of whether the credit will be transferrable, must be sent directly from the institution at which the credit was completed. Official transcripts, mark sheets, diplomas, degrees, and/or certificates of all secondary and post-secondary academic records and examination results are required. If fewer than twenty-four transferrable credits have been completed, high school/secondary school transcripts must also be provided. Transcripts that are not in English must be translated and evaluated by a reputable credential evaluation service, including members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), and then sent directly from the agency to Monmouth University. A course-by-course evaluation is required for all non-English transcripts. Course descriptions in English of all completed course work are also required if not included in the course-by-course evaluation. Transcripts are considered official when sent directly to Monmouth University from the college/university at which the courses were taken and certified by the institution’s Registrar’s Office, Ministry of Education, or when sent directly from the evaluation agency along with the translation and evaluation to the Office of Admission Processing. Photocopied documents or transcripts marked “issued to student” are not accepted as official.  

The records should list all courses the student has taken and grades received in each subject. Course descriptions and/or syllabi and the number of weeks and hours spent in lectures and laboratory work for each course are required of transfer applicants if transfer credit is expected. Only credits from recognized accredited institutions will be considered for direct transfer into any degree program. All course work is subject to approval by the department chair of the specific program chosen; not all courses may transfer. A maximum of seventy-two credits will be allowed for undergraduates transferring from a two-year accredited institution; a maximum of ninety-six credits will be allowed when transferring from a four-year accredited institution.

Course work done through national examination may be considered for credit by department evaluation, credit by examination, waiver, or portfolio if results meet specific department and/or University requirements and standards.

Students may, upon request, be required to have previous academic work validated, at the student’s expense, through an outside credential evaluation service.

Failure to declare and/or present all academic work, or presentation of academic records that are found to be altered or of a questionable nature, may result in non-acceptance of student or dismissal of student from the University. Generally, international students currently studying in the United States who wish to transfer to Monmouth University should follow the regular transfer admission process. The English proficiency/SAT requirement can be waived for international students who have completed at least twenty-four transferable credits of which at least three are in English at the 100 level or higher. See details referenced in the International Applicants section for English proficiency requirements. An international student transferring from an institution within the United States is asked to provide the following documentation:

In addition, upon acceptance, the transfer applicant should request the previous institution to transfer his or her Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record.

International transfer applicants must also provide financial support documentation (see details referenced in the International Applicants section).