MAT Initial Certificaton, Spanish or Chinese (K-12 Certification and Subject Endorsement) with Endorsement in English as a Second Language
|Requirements (39 credits)|
|ED-510||Psychological and Philosophical Foundations of Teaching||3|
|ED-550||Teaching Diverse Populations||3|
|EDS-500||Foundations of Special Education: Development Across the Lifespan||3|
|EDS-534||Classroom Management in Inclusive Settings||3|
|Foreign Language (FO) 500-Level Independent Study||3|
|Education (ED) or Spanish (FS) 500-Level Independent Study||3|
|ED-582||World Language Education||3|
|FO-LTIOPI||Oral Proficiency Interview 1||0|
Spanish (Advanced Low)
Chinese (Interm. High)
|ED-563||Assessment and Treatment of Literacy Problems||3|
|or ED-536||Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching|
|ED-584||Theories and Practice of ESL Instruction Part II||3|
|ED-593||Clinical Practice 2||9|
|or ED-594||Supervised Clinical Practice|
LTI-OPI taken with Language Testing International.
Students must complete the appropriate test requirement(s) with a passing score prior to student/supervised teaching.
|ED-510 Psychological and Philosophical Foundations of Teaching||3||ED-529 Content Literacy||3|
|ED-550 Teaching Diverse Populations||3||EDS-534 Classroom Management in Inclusive Settings||3|
|EDS-500 Foundations of Special Education: Development Across the Lifespan||3||Education (ED) or Spanish (FS) 500-Level Independent Study1||3|
|Semester Credits||9||Semester Credits||9|
|ED-536 Applied Linguistics for Language Teaching||3||ED-584 Theories and Practice of ESL Instruction Part II||3|
|ED-582 World Language Education||3||Foreign Language (FO) 500-Level Independent Study||3|
|Semester Credits||6||Semester Credits||6|
|ED-593 Clinical Practice or 594||9|
|Total Credits 39|
ED-599, NCATE for Chinese or FS-599, Introduction to Linguistics for Spanish
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree with a satisfactory overall GPA per state requirements and a 3.0 GPA in the undergraduate major.
- Two letters of recommendation for graduate study.
- Personal statement of not more than two pages that describes your preparation for study in the program and personal objectives for graduate study.
- Provide evidence of successfully achieving a minimum score on one of the following tests as a condition of admission to the MAT:
- Provide a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators #5751
- Provide an official qualifying score on the SAT, ACT or GRE required for the year in which the exam was taken (see New Jersey Department of Education for details).
- Students interested in the MAT Initial Certification K-12 in Chinese must have a degree or thirty approved credits in the Chinese language and culture.
Note: Prior to student teaching, the appropriate Praxis Test must be successfully completed, and all content course work and/or conditions of acceptance must be satisfied.